PDA

View Full Version : alone vs lonely

myhanh
25-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I will start with a question:

All the other people at the party had gathered together in small groups, having the time of their life, and only she was left standing ..........
(a) single
(b) removed
(c) lonely
(d) alone
The correct answer is (d) alone
Why ?
The basic difference between 'alone' and 'lonely' is that, when you are 'lonely', you feel unhappy about it.
The word lonely can only be used as an adjective.
The word alone can be used as either an adjective or an adverb
Now there are some exercises to practise:

1.After the good news of my promotion I felt like walking in the park, but not ........., and my sister was the only one I felt like walking with.
(a) alone
(b) solitary
(c) lonesome
(d) single
2.She hates Christmas because she feels so sad and ......... despite all the people coming by to greet her.
(a) single
(b) lonesome
(c) apart
(d) detached
3.As the path was very narrow and dangerous, the guide told them they should walk in ......... file.
(a) alone
(b) solitary
(c) single
(d) detached
4.He was walking along the streets which were usually so crowded, but that afternoon for some reason they looked ..........
(a) lonely
(b) lonesome
(c) desolate
(d) detached
5.Marion didn't imagine she could ever enjoy those ......... walks in the mountain.
(a) single
(b) solitary
(c) lonesome
(d) alone
6.Her mind was occupied by one ......... thought and that was to leave this family forever.
(a) lonely
(b) alone
(c) single
(d) detached
7.Finally they found what they were looking for, it was the house of their dreams- two storeys, a beautiful green garden and a ......... garage.
(a) lonely
(b) detached
(c) lonesome
(d) alone
8.The nights were the worst part for she was haunted by ......... thoughts which were killing her.
(a) alone
(b) lonely
(c) lonesome
(d) single
9.Joan's husband abandoned her unexpectedly, leaving her ......... and uncertain about the future.
(a) single
(b) lonely
(c) alone
(d) unaccompanied

DeMen
25-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Làm đại :D
1a
2b
3d
4c
5b
6c
7c
8c
9b

myhanh
25-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Làm đại :D
1a
2b
3d
4c
5b
6c
7c
8c
9b
7 out of 9 are correct!
3 & 7 are incorrect.

DeMen
25-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Ủa có ngược không anh? 7 câu đúng hay là 7 câu sai? :D

3/ Đường hẹp và nguy hiểm => ko nên đi 1 mình (câu này thực ra em ko sure lắm)
7/ Nhà có 2 tầng, vườn, và 1 garage "detached". Tại sao sai?

myhanh
25-03-2009, 04:13 PM
7.correct is b, you selected c. OK "detached" is a correct anwser.
3.correct is c, single.

DeMen
25-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Haha, câu 3, em thấy "file", em nghĩ tới "attached", thế là em chọn "detached", mặc dù ko hiểu nghĩa chính xác của tụi nó là sao :D

92A01
25-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Haha, câu 3, em thấy "file", em nghĩ tới "attached", thế là em chọn "detached", mặc dù ko hiểu nghĩa chính xác của tụi nó là sao :D

Anh cũng nghĩ giống em vậy. Đúng là bị nhiễm Internet.