PDA

View Full Version : An Act of Kindness

Bombyx112
25-04-2006, 10:46 PM
President Abraham Lincoln often visited hospitals to talk with wounded soldiers during the Civil War. Once, doctors pointed out a young soldier who was near death and Lincoln went over to his bedside.

"Is there anything I can do for you now? " asked the president
The soldier obviously didn't recognize Lincoln, and with some effort he was able to whisper," Would you please to write a letter to my mother?"

A pen and paper was provided and the president carefully began to write down what the young man able to say:

"My dearest mother, I was badly hurt while doing my duty. I'm afraid I'm not going to recover. Don't grieve too much for me, please. Kiss Mary and John for me. May God bless you and father ".

The soldier was too weak to continue, so the Lincoln signed the letter for him and added " Written for your son by Abraham Lincoln"

The young man asked to see the note and was astonished when he discovered who had written it.

" Are you really the president? " he asked

" Yes, I am " Lincoln replied quietly. Then he asked if there anything else he could do

" Would you please hold my hand ? " the soldier asked. " It will help to see me through to the end"

In the hushed room, the tall gaunt president took the soldier's hand in his and spoke warm words of encouragement until the death came.